Evidence of habitation at Akrotiri first came to light in the second half of the 19th century.
However, systematic excavations were begun much later, in 1967, by Professor Spyridon Marinatos under the auspices of the Archaeological Society at Athens.
He decided to excavate at Akrotiri in the hope of verifying an old theory of his, published in the 1930's, that the eruption of the Thira volcano was responsible for the collapse of the Minoan civilization.
Since his death in 1974, the excavations have been continued under the successful direction of Professor Christos Doumas.
Open hours in Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, & Oct from 08.00 to 20.00, every day.
Akrotiri Excavations Tel : 30 22860 81366SANTORINI WEB PORTALS // Copyright © 1997- Santorini® Web Services. Copy, reproduction or any kind of use without the written authorization of the rightful owner is prohibited and will be prosecuted.
All four buildings yielded interesting finds such as abundant imported pottery and precious stone and bronze objects.
Open hours in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, & March from 08.00 to 15.00, every day except Monday.
The eastern building yielded the “Fresco of the Monkeys”, a composition of monkeys climbing on rocks at the side of a river.
The large two-storeyed building was named after the fresco with the Ladies and the Papyrus(Cyperus Papyrus), which decorated the interior.
The most interesting architectural feature of the building is a light-well constructed at its center. On the ground floor there are storerooms, workshops, a kitchen and a mill-installation.